My Blog List

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Go in on an Aum.......

Hmm, I seem to be here again...partly because I was up way too early courtesy of next doors chickens and partly because it's a nice way to spend some time...just typing stuff, almost meditative and after a Twitter chat with @magicsuitcase I have decided to put fingers to keyboard again.

I used to go to meditation classes, to find a little bit of peace of calm. There were about 10 of us, very diverse bunch, all groovy though. Our 'guide' was a lovely lady, full of good with a real sense of who she was, in a good way. We would chat politely and then assume our chosen positions. Some liked to sit on a chair others on a cushion, one lady liked to stand...to get the benefit of the 'energy' created in the room.....each to their own..
Our 'guide' would take us through woods, beaches, deserts encouraging us to listen to the silence, embrace it and go with it. This was bloody difficult...thoughts of 'Have I paid the council tax?' Did I switch the iron off?' 'What shall we have for dinner?' entered my head and any chance of meeting my 'silence' was always a losing battle. I went every week in the hope that peace would come.....
The most interesting bit of these sessions was the chat afterwards....people really felt something, were  emotionally drained, some cried. Me? I guess I liked the company of groovy people but peace never came, I never really felt anything.....
I recently went to stay with some really groovy pals in Hampshire, their house is a house that hugs you when you go in, really great vibe, really great people. Our hosts have the most fantastic diverse taste in music and while sat on the cushions in their front room something came on the iPod that got my attention.....a deep gravelly, vibrational sound. We all sat and just listened, nothing was said we just listened and just at that moment, there it was....nothing! No inner chatter, no worries...nothing. United in this amazing sound we sat for at least 5 minutes just doing and saying nothing, even my small boy, who finds quiet difficult, just sat. A moment of peace and calm.
What was this transformational music that sent us all into a trance like state? Don't laugh...Mongolian throat music...magical, seriously, truly magical. Don't bother with you tubing a sample of this most wonderful thing....nowhere near as good as what we experienced. Sadly I can't remember the name of the CD or who was throat singing, but it was a moment in time that blew me away.
You don't always have to go in on an Aum to meditate....sometimes peace and calm will just find you....

Thanks to @magicsuitcase and @spurssimon for encouragement and wise words.....peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment